slow printing.

Bill Brandt brandtwr-samba at draaw.net
Tue Dec 7 13:01:53 GMT 1999

I'm not totally sure why, but the printer worked fine with the MS and HP
standard drivers when it was on the NT Server.  I think the issue has something
to do with the Redhat print filter for HP4M that I had to apply to get graphics
to work.  Anyway, when I switched to HP4M Postscript a 42 page graphic/text
mixed file that used to be created as a 20MB print file (~ 500KB/page) on
the NTWS is now coming through as an 800KB file (~ 20KB) and is printing at
normal speeds.  Perhaps someone can explain it, but the only thing that makes
sense to me is that NT (non-PS) driver cannot be set to use soft fonts and the
RH filter was actually doing the correct filtering to allow PS.

On another printing note... Are there any plans to allow for filenames that
match the document?  The current filename in the spools is a randomly generated
tempfile name.  Even if the document name was a mixture of the two... like:
sEYUhen.<originaldocumentnamethatisreadable> it would probably be better.

Bill