Bug report w/ Intel Netcards

Jon Doyle Jon at document-solutions.com
Wed Dec 1 17:25:54 GMT 1999

I have noticed that Intel cards are not great under Linux. I do see that a new Driver for eepro has been posted. I have liked to use Intel in the past, particulary the Server Adapter with the i960 RISC Processor on board; but due to the problems under Linux I have moved to SMC & Netgear cards. Both of these work great under Linux. 3COM cards I have stayed away from because of the horror under Windows and on Switched Networks I have experienced in the past. I do know 3COM has fixed a lot of this in their drivers, but who wants to create three floppies for a driver anyway?

Jon

Jon R. Doyle
Systems Administrator
Document Solutions, Inc.
1611 Telegraph Avenue Ste. 1010
Oakland, Ca. 94612
510-986-0250

>>> "Kelly S. Smelser" <ksmelser at uindy.edu> 12/01/99 07:01AM >>>
	I posted yesterday regarding problems setting up a 2nd samba
server as a PDC on our campus network.  It turns out that the problem
appears to be more of a network card related issue.  After testing the
scenario out on multiple servers and having no luck, I realized that all
of the server machines I was trying had Intel network cards.  I then tried
the same setup on my laptop with a 3com PCMCIA ethernet card and the PDC
setup worked flawlessly.  The machines that were not working properly were
an Intel T440BX motherboard with integrated eepro 10/100 network interface
and a machine with a PCI Intel EtherExpress 10/100 (i82555) card.  Has
anyone else noticed similar problems with this hardware?

"...kneel down and kiss the earth, and show me what this thought is
worth."  -Trey Anastasio/Tom Marshall (Phish)