W2k and joining a Samba PDC?

Stefan Wold stwo at bofh.maldata.se
Tue Aug 31 12:28:37 GMT 1999

Hi....

I've been running samba as a PDC for a while, but however I have never tried
NT wks to join my domain (only win9x clients which work perfectly). I then
decided to try Windows 2000 Pro and let it join my PDC. I read somewhere
that you had to add a line to your smbpasswd with the same name as the
netbios name of the Nt client, in my case octopusy =) yes its a silly
name....I dont remember exactly the line i added but its something like
"octopusy$:800:password here?(same as netbios name?):password here?(same as
netbios name?):[W        ]:and something here"....

I then tried (without username and password in Windows 2000" to join my
domain, it then says Wrong domain name or it doesnt exist.

I have encryption enabled on my samba....I have tried this PDC function in
both samba 2.0.5a   and CVS 2.1.0 prealpha.... Neither of them work...Could
someone give me a hint? And please a example file of smbpasswd....

Sincerely
Stefan Wold