Solaris Samba PDC for NT/Mac LAN

C. Scott Walker swalker at geo.Arizona.EDU
Mon Aug 30 23:53:54 GMT 1999

Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 16:20:08 -0700 (MST)
From: C. Scott Walker <swalker at geo.Arizona.EDU>
To: listproc at samba.org
Subject: Solaris Samba PDC for NT/Mac LAN

Hi,

We have just set up our Sparc20 / Solaris 2.6 with Samba 2.1 pre-alpha as
a PDC for 10 NT workstations.  So far, so good - $600.00 saved!  Our lab
also has a Mac G3 server, running AppleShare IP 6.1.1 and At Ease for
Workgroups.  The Mac server folders/directories are transparently
accessible when a user logs in locally to one of the workstations,
provided an identical user account (name and password) has been set up on
the Mac.

However, when a user logs in to the samba domain - again, with
identical user accounts on the Sun and the Mac - the Mac is visible in
Network Neighborhood, but shared folders are not browsable (file system
not accessible message).  Interestingly, the Mac reports that a connection
has been established, with the correct user and IP address, a connection
that persists until the user logs out on the NT side.

Our ultimate goal is to set up user home directories and NT profiles on
the Mac server.

Are we nuts?  Has anyone done this, successfully or otherwise?  Thanks in
advance for any help or advice.

Scott

C. Scott Walker
Research Assistant - Geosciences Department
University of Arizona