Default umask/file locking problem

Kevin Myer kevin_myer at elanco.k12.pa.us
Mon Aug 30 18:13:15 GMT 1999

Hello,

Leave it to the first day of school starting to uncover some problems with
my current Samba implimentation.  For reference, I'm running the HEAD CVS
branch from about a week ago on a dual Pentium II 300Mhz with 512Mb of
RAM.

We are using an old(er) DOS library checkout system from Follett Software.
The workstations are now running NT with DOS in a shell and access a
Samba-based file server which holds the database records and config files.
Previously, the file server had been NT based.  I successfully moved
everything from the NT server to the Samba-server and ran the checkout
system from that for most of this past summer.  However, today, as I was
setting up some client search workstations, I found that a semaphore file
is apparently only allowing one user at a time to use the system.

The share I am using for this system comes off of \\SERVER\UNISON and
every time an instance of the program is run from a different workstation,
a file in \\SERVER\UNISON\TEMP is created or modified.  It is called
UNISON.SEM.  The TEMP directory has full rwx for everyone.  So I logon as
Circulation and run the program.  UNISON.SEM is created with a file mode
of 744 (rwxr--r--) and owned by Circulation/lmc.  If I attempt to login as
another user on a search station, I can't because it attempts to create a
new UNISON.SEM but can't.  So I am wondering if there isn't a problem with
the file being locked or with umask creation modes not properly being set,
at least for this application.  What I'd like is to have the UNISON.SEM
file created with full rwx access for everyone or barring that, have some
sort of non-exclusive lock.

I'm really grasping at straws as to why this isn't working - having the
file locked wrong or having it created with the wrong umask is all that I
can think of that is causing this problem.  I welcome any other
suggestions of things to try.

Sorry about the muddled nature of this post.  If you need more info or a
debug log, let me know what level and I'll pass the info along.

Thanks,

Kevin

--
     ~        Kevin M. Myer