Password Synchronization Problem

Frank Oh oh at geology.ohio-state.edu
Thu Aug 26 03:33:27 GMT 1999

Please ignore this message, somehow I solved this problem.
Thanks :-)

>Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 09:29:40 -0700
>
>Help!!
>I am running samba server [v2.0.5a] as a PDC for Win9x.
>I am trying to set up samba so that it can change a Windows user's UNIX
password when that person changes one's Windows password.
>I think I set it up right, but when I run `testparm` command to check
smb.conf it shows following error:
>Load smb config files from /etc/smb.conf
>Processing section "[ml356]"
>Processing section "[ml354]"
>Processing section "[homes]"
>Processing section "[netlogon]"
>Processing section "[software]"
>Processing section "[tmp]"
>Loaded services file OK.
>ERROR: the 'passwd chat' script [*current*UNIX*password* %o\n
*New*UNIX*password
>* %n\n *Retype*new*UNIX*password* %n\n
*passwd:*all*authentication*tokens*update
>d*successfully*] expects to use the old plaintext password via the %o
substitution. With encrypted passwords this is not possible.
>Press enter to see a dump of your service definitions
>
>I thought that I have to have the following parameters to the global
section in my smb.conf file:
>encrypt passwords = yes
>smb passwd file = /etc/smbpasswd
>
>unix password sync = true
>passwd chat = *current*UNIX*password* %o\n *New*UNIX*password* %n\n
*Retype*new*UNIX*password* %n\n

Frank Oh			oh at geology.ohio-state.edu
Lab Manager			292.7552
Geological Sciences		The Ohio State University