Password Synchronization Problem

Frank Oh oh at geology.ohio-state.edu
Wed Aug 25 19:29:40 GMT 1999

Help!!
I am running samba server [v2.0.5a] as a PDC for Win9x.
I am trying to set up samba so that it can change a Windows user's UNIX
password when that person changes one's Windows password.
I think I set it up right, but when I run `testparm` command to check
smb.conf it shows following error:
Load smb config files from /etc/smb.conf
Processing section "[ml356]"
Processing section "[ml354]"
Processing section "[homes]"
Processing section "[netlogon]"
Processing section "[software]"
Processing section "[tmp]"
Loaded services file OK.
ERROR: the 'passwd chat' script [*current*UNIX*password* %o\n
*New*UNIX*password
* %n\n *Retype*new*UNIX*password* %n\n
*passwd:*all*authentication*tokens*update
d*successfully*] expects to use the old plaintext password via the %o
substitution. With encrypted passwords this is not possible.

I thought that I have to have the following parameters to the global
section in my smb.conf file:
encrypt passwords = yes
smb passwd file = /etc/smbpasswd

unix password sync = true
passwd chat = *current*UNIX*password* %o\n *New*UNIX*password* %n\n
*Retype*new*UNIX*password* %n\n
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u

it seems like I have to set "encrypt passwords = no" I really would like to
use encrypt passwords.

Am I missing something?

Frank Oh			oh at geology.ohio-state.edu
Lab Manager			292.7552
Geo. Department		The Ohio State University