Multiple PDC's

Ignacio Coupeau icoupeau at unav.es
Wed Aug 25 11:58:21 GMT 1999

Kevin Van Der Hart wrote:

> We are needing to be able to do NT Workstation domain logons into an
> entirely SUN server environment. I have been able to set up a Samba PDC
> and get the domain logons to work in a testing area. My problem is that
> we have 15 different subnets which all need to be able to do the domain
> logons but we do all of our user administration from one centralized
> server and all users are valid on any of the subnets. If I setup a Samba
> PDC on each subnet to do the domain authentication, how can I keep the
> user information synchronized across all of the PDC's? Because of the
> machine accounts in the smbpasswd file, synchronizing this file is out
> of the question. Or is there a better way to accomplish the domain
> logons?

If the number of WS/users is little you can use the WINS param in the
Network|TCP/IP config pane, to redirect the PDC search, but if the
number of WS is big and you need several PDCs.
The last year, we have synchronized the smbpasswd (and /etc/passwd)
files via NFS or similar, but this year we are testing samba with LDAP
(CVS source HEAD branch).
Another solution is samba with NIS+.

configure:
  --with-ldap     Include LDAP support
  --with-nisplus     Include NISPLUS password database support

...but you need the /etc/passwd accounts in one PDC and almost the
/etc/group well synchronized...

Ignacio
Ignacio Coupeau, Ph.D.     e-mail: icoupeau at unav.es
CTI, Director              fax:    948 425619
University of Navarra      voice:  948 425600
Pamplona, SPAIN            http://www.unav.es/cti/