Michael Glauche glauche at plum.de
Wed Aug 25 11:00:52 GMT 1999

Sture Lygren wrote:

> Hi!
>
> As I'm new to this list I hope you ppl will excuse me for asking already answered(?) questions.
>
> My setup is:
>
> Linux box (kernel 2.2.1) that I hope to set up as a PDC for 12 PC's running NT WS (SP3) using
> Samba2.0.5a.
>
> I configured and compiled the source without any problems and after configuring the smb.conf file I can see the shares trough 'Network neighbourhood' on the PC's.
>
> So far so good but ...
>
> As noted above I would like to have samba act as a PDC and also be the logon server for the PC's. I read the NTDomain-FAQ (section 2.2 'How do I get my NT Workstation / Server to login to the Samba controlled domain?'. I followed the instructions therein. Edited the passwd file and ran 'smbpasswd -a -m name_of_nt_workstation'. After that I had a look at the smbpasswd file, and noticed that the syntax didn't look like what the doc said it would (it didn't have the 'LM_' and 'NT_' part). Anyways I tried connection to the domain from one of the workstations, but nothing happened (syslog was silent). Then I manually edited the smbpasswd file and added 'LM_' and 'NT_' in front of the crypted stuff for that particular machine. Again I tried to join the domain from the NT workstation, and this time syslog reported 'a malformed passwd file (missing : ), 'no trust_account for machinname$' .

? some bug in the doku ? Never saw some LM_ or NT_ thing in my smbpasswd
either. It looks like :
machine_name$:2054:DE84598F50608A0C44CAE360917AB146:DE84598F50608A0C44CAE360917AB146:[W
]:LCT-37C23FC0:

> My linux box is using shadow password. Read some place (diagnostic.txt?) that the source should be configured to use shadow password, but I couldn't find any options for it with 'configure'...

A PDC MUST have "encrypted" passwords (i.e. passwords in the MS style)
Read ENCRYPTION.txt !

> I have to mention that I have also tried the latest cvs version of Samba. Compile went fine, but I couldn't use smbpasswd (couldn't connect on port 445 something - error). I tried using smbpasswd from the 2.0.5a distribution, but I experienced the same error as described above.

In CVS stuff can be broken for some time, update the to the current
version, and see if this problem still exists. IIRC the port 445 issue
is an optional thing, it should not stop things from runnging, so your
problem might be elswehre.)

regards,
   Michael