Prealpha PDC and 2.0.x File Server...

Ulf Bartelt ulf at twc.de
Wed Aug 25 10:29:25 GMT 1999

Hi!

Seems, I successfully set up a samba PDC...

My environment:

Samba-prealpha running on SuSE6.2 as PDC...

Samba-2.0.x running on Debian-2.0 having an external raid as file
server, DNS server, NIS server...

My wishes:

I want as less stuff as possible on the PDCs harddisk and I want to keep
PDC and file server on different systems.

If possible without conflict I'd love to put NIS and DNS on the PDC
too...

User's profiles shall be in a subdir of the unix home of the user...

Status quo:

The homedirs of the users are on the file server, on the PDC I automount
the whole /home from the file server for being able to create users on
the PDC having their newly created homedir on the file server.

The user profiles (for NT clients) are in /home/USERNAME/.smbprofile and
to ease administration I have an auto mounted directory /profiles on the
PDC mapping /profile/USERNAME to fileserver:/home/USERNAME/.smbprofile.
Maybe this will not be as useful as I think right now...

The profiles share on the PDC is declared to be
\\fileserver\%U\.smbprofile.

"logon path" and "logon home" are pointing to
\\fileserver\%U\.smbprofile and \\fileserver\%U.

Questions:

Are there any reasons NOT to put DNS and NIS on the PDC machine?

Can I declare homes on the PDC as \\fileserver\homes? Or is the
declaration of "logon home" enough?

Especially: What about putting the netlogon share on the fileserver too?

What is the right machine to declare "logon path" and friends? For now I
put this in smb.conf of both machines, \\-style on the PDC and unix path
style on the fileserver...

How does NT time syncronisation (with samba) work? Once on logon or
periodically? "net time \\SERVER /set /yes" makes me assume it is done
once...

I hope these questions aren't too silly...

Bye!
	Ulf.