No subject

Sture Lygren sture at rocketrange.no
Wed Aug 25 09:05:04 GMT 1999

Hi!

As I'm new to this list I hope you ppl will excuse me for asking already answered(?) questions.

My setup is:

Linux box (kernel 2.2.1) that I hope to set up as a PDC for 12 PC's running NT WS (SP3) using
Samba2.0.5a.

I configured and compiled the source without any problems and after configuring the smb.conf file I can see the shares trough 'Network neighbourhood' on the PC's.

So far so good but ...

As noted above I would like to have samba act as a PDC and also be the logon server for the PC's. I read the NTDomain-FAQ (section 2.2 'How do I get my NT Workstation / Server to login to the Samba controlled domain?'. I followed the instructions therein. Edited the passwd file and ran 'smbpasswd -a -m name_of_nt_workstation'. After that I had a look at the smbpasswd file, and noticed that the syntax didn't look like what the doc said it would (it didn't have the 'LM_' and 'NT_' part). Anyways I tried connection to the domain from one of the workstations, but nothing happened (syslog was silent). Then I manually edited the smbpasswd file and added 'LM_' and 'NT_' in front of the crypted stuff for that particular machine. Again I tried to join the domain from the NT workstation, and this time syslog reported 'a malformed passwd file (missing : ), 'no trust_account for machinname$' .

My linux box is using shadow password. Read some place (diagnostic.txt?) that the source should be configured to use shadow password, but I couldn't find any options for it with 'configure'...

I have to mention that I have also tried the latest cvs version of Samba. Compile went fine, but I couldn't use smbpasswd (couldn't connect on port 445 something - error). I tried using smbpasswd from the 2.0.5a distribution, but I experienced the same error as described above.

I'm lost here - feeling I've tried everything (surely I haven't but ...)

So please - could someone help me out here. What do I need to do in order to get this working?

Regards
Sture Lygren