UNIX PASSWD SYNC/changing password on NT workstation

Lisa Becktold {CADIG STAFF} lisa at USNA.Navy.Mil
Fri Aug 20 17:30:28 GMT 1999

Luke:

Help!  Now I am really confused.

Do I have to use plaintext passwords on the NT workstation in order
for "unix passwd sync" to work on the Samba PDC/NIS master?

An NT server will NOT authenticate an NT workstation or user unless
encrypted passwords are used, right?

I know that I can change my smbpasswd password from the NT workstation
just fine when "unix passwd sync" is NOT set.   The NT workstation's
registry has been altered to send plaintext passwords - it sends
the default encrypted password when I log into the Samba domain.

But I can't change either my smbpasswd or /var/yp/passwd entry when
I have "unix passwd sync" set on the Samba PDC/NIS master.

Are you guys saying I have to use plaintext passwords on the NT
workstation side in order to enable "unix password sync"?

THANKS

Lisa