UNIX PASSWD SYNC/changing password on NT workstation

Matthias Wächter matthias at waechter.wol.at
Fri Aug 20 15:37:52 GMT 1999

On Sat, 21 Aug 1999, Lisa Becktold {CADIG STAFF} wrote:

> On the NIS master, if I run "/usr/bin/passwd user" as root, I get
> these prompts:
>
> 	New password:
> 	Re-enter new password:
> 	NIS passwd/attributes changed on hermes
>
> I tried to reflect this dialogue in my "passwd chat" command:
>
> 	passwd chat = *New password* %n\n *Re-enter new password* %n\n *NIS
> passwd/attributes changed on*
>
> Do you see any problems with this "passwd chat" command?  The NT workstation
> that is a member of the hermes Samba domain complains:

you need to use \s to reflect a space - the password chat will not
recognize which part of the "passwd chat" line is output and which is
input otherwise!

so the line should read:

passwd chat = New\spassword: %n\n \nRe-enter\snew\spassword: %n\n \nNIS\spasswd/attributes\schanged\son\shermes\n

to have it more readable you can also use stars (but you know that they
do more than \s and \n):

passwd chat = *New*password: %n\n *Re-enter*new*password: %n\n *NIS*passwd/attributes*changed*on*

Sehr Wus,
- Matthias

--
Verkauft für 339,88 Dollar!
	- aus: Groundhog Day (Und täglich grüßt das Murmeltier)