UNIX PASSWD SYNC/changing password on NT workstation

Lisa Becktold {CADIG STAFF} lisa at USNA.Navy.Mil
Fri Aug 20 15:20:30 GMT 1999

Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 11:02:27 -0400 (EDT)
From: Lisa Becktold {CADIG STAFF} <lisa at USNA.Navy.Mil>
Subject: Re: UNIX PASSWD SYNC/changing password on NT workstation
To: jallison at cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Cc: samba_ntdom at samba.org, lisa at hermes.ewlab.usna.edu
Content-MD5: qj8XMykyA7jgx2g5UJEqdg==

Hi, Jeremy:

Thanks for your response.

I set "unix passwd sync" on the SUN server that acts as NIS master.  Server
name is hermes.  Hermes is also acting as the Samba PDC.

On the NIS master, if I run "/usr/bin/passwd user" as root, I get
these prompts:

	New password:
	Re-enter new password:
	NIS passwd/attributes changed on hermes

I tried to reflect this dialogue in my "passwd chat" command:

	passwd chat = *New password* %n\n *Re-enter new password* %n\n *NIS
passwd/attributes changed on*

Do you see any problems with this "passwd chat" command?  The NT workstation
that is a member of the hermes Samba domain complains:

         The username or old password is incorrect.  Letters in passwords
         must be typed using the correct case.  Make sure that Caps Lock is
         not accidentally on.

This same NT workstation has no problem changing the smbpasswd password when
"unix passwd sync" is disabled.

Which would be the best log to look in for debugging?  I have log level set
to 2.

THANKS, Jeremy!

Lisa

> Originator: samba-ntdom at samba.org
> From: Jeremy Allison <jallison at cthulhu.engr.sgi.com>
> To: Multiple recipients of list SAMBA-NTDOM <samba-ntdom at samba.org>
> Subject: Re: UNIX PASSWD SYNC/changing password on NT workstation
> Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 09:25:00 +1000
>
> Simon Murcott wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 20 Aug 1999, Paulo Afonso Graner Fessel wrote:
> >

> >    On Fri, 20 Aug 1999, Lisa Becktold {CADIG STAFF} wrote:
> >
> >    >         passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
> >                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >
> >         Hem... Excuse me if I'm mistaken, but if you`re using NIS
> >    shouldn't you use yppasswd instad of passwd?
> >
> > If you are using PAM, passwd is fine. PAM should figure it out.
>
> But remember, if you're using YP and changing passwords
> on a machien that isn't the YP master, then unix password
> sync isn't going to work, as the YP password change program
> needs the old password plaintext, which is not available
> for encrypted Windows password changing.
>
> Regards,
>
> 	Jeremy Allison,
> 	Samba Team.
>
> --
> Buying an operating system without source is like buying
> a self-assembly Space Shuttle with no instructions.

      Lisa M. Becktold - lisa at usna.navy.mil, (410) 293-6480
               United States Naval Academy - CADIG
    590 Holloway Road, Rickover Hall, Annapolis, MD 21402-5000