UNIX PASSWD SYNC/changing password on NT workstation

Jeremy Allison jallison at cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Thu Aug 19 23:22:31 GMT 1999

Simon Murcott wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Aug 1999, Paulo Afonso Graner Fessel wrote:
>

>    On Fri, 20 Aug 1999, Lisa Becktold {CADIG STAFF} wrote:
>
>    >         passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
>                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>         Hem... Excuse me if I'm mistaken, but if you`re using NIS
>    shouldn't you use yppasswd instad of passwd?
>
> If you are using PAM, passwd is fine. PAM should figure it out.

But remember, if you're using YP and changing passwords
on a machien that isn't the YP master, then unix password
sync isn't going to work, as the YP password change program
needs the old password plaintext, which is not available
for encrypted Windows password changing.

Regards,

	Jeremy Allison,
	Samba Team.