UNIX PASSWD SYNC/changing password on NT workstation

Lisa Becktold {CADIG STAFF} lisa at usna.navy.MIL
Thu Aug 19 21:19:16 GMT 1999

Hi:

I am running 2.0.5a as PDC (domain logins = yes) on both an SGI Origin 2000
and a Sun Ultra 30.

When "unix passwd sync" is NOT turned on, I can successfully change my
password entry in smbpasswd from the NT Workstation.  I do this by
logging in, pressing "ALT-CONTROL-DEL", selecting "Change Password", and
entering old password/new password/confirm new password.  This works
very well.

However, as soon as I enable "unix passwd sync", I cannot change either my
smbpasswd entry or my /etc/passwd entry.  I get this error message:

         The username or old password is incorrect.  Letters in passwords
         must be typed using the correct case.  Make sure that Caps Lock is
         not accidentally on.

Am I incorrectly assuming that I can change both my UNIX password and
my smbpasswd entries at the NT workstation level?  Will "unix passwd
sync" only work if I log onto the Samba server?

I am trying "unix passwd sync" on the server that is the NIS master and the
Samba PDC, as unix passwd changes cannot take place on an NIS slave.

Here are my global settings:

# Global parameters

        workgroup = CADIGTST
        server string = HERMES - Samba 2.0.5a = %v
        netbios name = hermes
        security = user
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        username level = 8
        unix password sync = yes
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        passwd chat = *New password* %n\n *Re-enter new password* %n\n *NIS pass
wd/attributes changed on*
        log level = 2
        log file = /usr/local/samba/var/log/%m.log
        max log size = 50
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY
        logon drive = H:
        logon home = \\%L\%U