Connection Refused

Burt Avery ba2k at virginia.edu
Thu Aug 19 21:16:47 GMT 1999

Greetings:

I'm running version prealpha2.1.0, just downloaded and built today and
seeing this message when I attempt to add my first client, ba2k, to my
server named bmesamba with smbpasswd:

   error connecting to 192.168.4.42:445

The attempt to add an account/user subsequently fails. That account (mine)
exists in the campus NIS database.

192.168 is ficticious of course, but you get the idea. What is 445? Should
it be a service defined in my /etc/services file like 137, 138, 139 etc.

smbclient -L bmesamba -N responds more favorably:

   Got positive name query response from 192.168.4.42

and I see the expected shares, server, workgroup and master browser.

When I run nmblookup -S <servername>    where server name is bmesamba

it shows  resource bytes <00>, <03>, <20> for bmesamba
 __mbrowser__<01>, and <00>, <1d>, <1e> for complab (my workgroup).

Version 2.0.5a has been working perfectly well, in testing, as a domain for
98 clients with essentially the same smb.conf file. These parameters are in
both smb.conf files:
  security = user, encrypt passwords, domain master = yes, domain logins = yes

And, it is the only Samba server on my subnet.

DO I need WINS?

Since I'm new to Samba installs, I must be overlooking something very
fundamental. Can someone give me a clue.

Thanks,
-ba-

Burt Avery
Computer Systems Engineer