NT Profile preventing login?

Florian Laws florian at void.s.bawue.de
Thu Aug 19 20:43:22 GMT 1999

On Thu, Aug 19, 1999 at 11:24:56PM +1000, Gerald Carter wrote:
> Andreas Miller wrote:
> >
> > The result is the following.
> > 1) I log into the domain.
> > 2) The clients hard disk is working for a short moment.
> > 3) After this short moment I have the "Three-Finger-Salute"
> > (CTR-ALT-DELETE) message again.
> > 4) But ... now the ntuser.dat in the network share has a new date.
> > So I had sucess with my login?!
>
> I seem to remember vaguely something about this being
> related to the NT client having problems running userinit.exe?
> My memory is very shady.  Does this happen on all your
> NT clients or just specific ones?

I had the same problems on one machine in our school computer pool.
I had NT4SP4 on it running fine with Samba PDC until I tried to install
an SCSI card for a scanner. Bue to unsuitable drivers I completely broke
the machine, requiring reinstall, with I didn't do from scratch but over
the old installation. Since then I had the same symptoms:
I log in, the profile seems to load at least partially, the welcome-sound
is played and the desktop background image is changed, and I am logged out
again.

Outfortunately I left school and only do remote administration anymore
and it is holiday now so the others admins can't check just right now.
But if you are interested and have suggestions I'll ask them to check
when schhol starts again in September.

Thanks,

Florian