running 2.0.5 and -HEAD on same system

Charles Owens owensc at enc.edu
Thu Aug 19 20:12:23 GMT 1999

Andy Polyakov wrote:

> > Thanks for the suggestion.  I tried this... didn't seem to make any
> > difference.
> post config files then. i run (slightly patched) 2.0.5a and HEAD on the
> same machine on different virtual interfaces. a.

Okay...thanks! ...below are the relevent portions of the two config files.
What I have is a Ethernet NIC with address 10.100.0.12/16 and an IP alias
10.100.10.1/16.  I wish to create two vitual samba hosts.

1.  Name WHINNEY
    Role:  WINS server, browse master, minor file serving
    Samba version: 2.0.5a

2.  Name BIGFOO
    Role:  PDC for domain ENC-DS
    Samba version: -HEAD

I fire up #1 first... no problem (it needs to come up first so #2 can
succeed in WINS registration as its coming up).

I bring up #2... nmbd dies with this in the log.nmb file:

     1999/08/17 08:41:06, 0] lib/util_sock.c:open_socket_in(663)
       bind failed on port 137 socket_addr=0.0.0.0 (Address already in
     use)

I've tried using "bind interfaces only" but it doesn't seem to help.

Here's the WHINNEY config:

# Global parameters
;        bind interfaces only = true
        socket address = 10.100.10.1
        interfaces = 10.100.10.1/16
        workgroup = ENC-DS
        netbios name = WHINNEY
        server string = fee fie foo fum
        security = USER
;       security = DOMAIN
; to be switched to DOMAIN when/if vitual hosting problem is resolved
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        password server = BIGFOO
        unix password sync = No
        name resolve order = lmhosts wins host
        os level = 64
        time server = Yes
        preferred master = True
        domain master = True
        wins support = Yes

... and the BIGFOO config:

# Global parameters
       interfaces = 10.100.0.12/16
       socket address = 10.100.0.12
;       bind interfaces only = yes

;       Server Identity
        workgroup = ENC-DS
        netbios name = BIGFOO
        server string = fee fie foo fum

;       Security / Passwords
        security = USER
        domain logons = Yes
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        unix password sync = No

;       WINS / browsing options
        name resolve order = lmhosts wins host
        os level = 64
        local master = True
        domain master = True
        wins server = 10.100.10.1
        dns proxy = No

---
  Charles N. Owens                               Email:  owensc at enc.edu
                                             http://www.enc.edu/~owensc
  Network & Systems Administrator
  Information Technology Services  "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's
  Eastern Nazarene College         best friend.  Inside of a dog it's
                                   too dark to read." - Groucho Marx