Help setting up Samba BDC of Samba PDC

Charles Owens owensc at enc.edu
Thu Aug 19 15:48:53 GMT 1999

Matt Chapman wrote:

> Charles Owens wrote:
> >
> > What's the status of the Samba BDC code?  I see the smbpasswd  -b and
> > -S options...
>
> Hmmm, sorry, not quite working yet in general... I must admit I've been
> off playing with other stuff. I promise to finish it soon :-)
>
> If you're using LDAP then you could try setting up two PDC's ("domain
> logons = yes") both pointed at the same LDAP server, and set "domain
> master = yes" on exactly one of them. This tends to work in a vaguely
> similar way to having a PDC/BDC.

Okay... so the "sorta-BDC" defaults to "domain master = auto" so it will
eventually take over when the PDC goes down...  I think I get it.  What
about the issue of differing SIDs?  When setting this up, will it be
sufficient to just copy the <domain-name>.SID file from the PDC to the BDC,
or is deeper majick required?  What about the file named just ".SID"?

The failover time between domain master browsers isn't particularily quick,
is it?  I seem to remember someone mentioning the it should be less than 10
minutes or something.  Is this right?

Does this work any differently for a samba domain member as compared to a
NT member?  Does the ability to set multiple hosts in the "password server"
parameter buy the samba domain member anything?

Thanks for the feedback!

--
---
  Charles N. Owens                               Email:  owensc at enc.edu
                                             http://www.enc.edu/~owensc
  Network & Systems Administrator
  Information Technology Services  "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's
  Eastern Nazarene College         best friend.  Inside of a dog it's
                                   too dark to read." - Groucho Marx