Help setting up Samba BDC of Samba PDC

Charles Owens owensc at enc.edu
Wed Aug 18 15:28:27 GMT 1999

Matt,

What's the status of the Samba BDC code?  I see the smbpasswd  -b and -S
options...

Can you provide a quick howto on setting this up?  I can make some
guesses, but I'd prefer to have a clue.  :-)

How does this work in the LDAP context?  Does the BDC expect to be
pointed at a different LDAP server than the PDC?  If so, this seems
unneccessary to me... couldn't both DC's be pointed at the same LDAP
server?  As long as the LDAP infrastructure is implemented with a decent
degree of fault tolerence, this would seem to be preferable to having
the BDC maintain its own private image of the SAM.  (of course... I
could be totally of my rocker... ;-)

I'm assuming you're the person to ask about the BDC functionality
because of a comment you made in

    http://us1.samba.org/listproc/samba-ntdom/5064.html

Thanks,
---

  Charles N. Owens                               Email:  owensc at enc.edu
                                             http://www.enc.edu/~owensc
  Network & Systems Administrator
  Information Technology Services  "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's
  Eastern Nazarene College         best friend.  Inside of a dog it's
                                   too dark to read." - Groucho Marx