running 2.0.5 and -HEAD on same system

Charles Owens owensc at enc.edu
Tue Aug 17 16:30:20 GMT 1999

Greetings,

I have a system running both as PDC and file server for a Windows NT
Terminal Server / Metaframe system that servers 20-30 users.  I'm
beginning to think that there are some stability issues regarding
locking, etc. with the -HEAD branch.  As such, I've tried to run both
-HEAD and 2.0.5 on the same box using the virtual server techiques
discussed on the various samba lists.  (my idea is to use -HEAD for only
its PDS funtionality and handle WINS and file/print sharing with 2.0.5)
I've done this:

   * I've created a IP alias for each virtual server
   * To keep things straight I've compiled -HEAD to live in
     /usr/local/samba and left 2.0.5 in the defaul /usr/local/etc
   * I've set up separate smb.conf files for each, each with
        o socket address = <IP alias address>
        o interfaces = <IP aliases address>/<local netmask>
   * I start the 2.0.5 nmbd, smbd (which is also providing WINS)
   * I try to start -HEAD nmbd, and it balks... complaining about its
     failing to bind to 0.0.0.0 .

This seems to be what has worked for folks who've posted recently.  Is
this really correct?  Is there any known difficulty in doing this with
the -HEAD branch?   I've tried a few variations and nothing has worked.

Life will go on if I can't get this to work... but it seems
straightforward enough and its bugging me... ;-)

Thanks,
---

  Charles N. Owens                               Email:  owensc at enc.edu
                                             http://www.enc.edu/~owensc
  Network & Systems Administrator
  Information Technology Services  "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's
  Eastern Nazarene College         best friend.  Inside of a dog it's
                                   too dark to read." - Groucho Marx