Problem with policies and profiles

John Williams williamj at email.aston.ac.uk
Tue Aug 17 13:37:01 GMT 1999

I am trying to set up a CAL lab of 100 NT4/SP5 Workstations using Samba as
a PDC. What I would like to do is set up users so that they have a home
directory they can keep files in etc, but make them use a mandatory profile
from a standard share. I got a lot of useful advice from Dave Andruczyk of
Buffalo State but have three problems and although I know the PDC stuff is
pre-alpha I would be grateful for any ideas on how to solve them.

I have created an ntconfig.pol on \\server\netlogon and created a group
policy for the users.  Initially it was not obeyed and I had to explicitly
add the "users" to the group in /etc/group and then map it to the name used
in poledit.  As the users are already in the group domainUsers I am not
sure why I had to add them again explicitly:
>Extract from passwd:
>mtest1:x:55001:500::/home/mtest1:/bin/bash
>>Extract from group:
>domainUsers:x:500:mtest1,mtest2,mtest3,mtest4,mtest5
>Extract from domaingroup.map
>domainUsers="Domain Users"
I found out that the users were not in Domain Users from User Manager for
Domains.

In ntconfig.pol I set up Custom Folders to point at the \\server\profiles
share but found this was ignored.  Again using User Manager I found that
the profile location was set in smb.conf with the "logon path =" line and
this seems to override the value from NTconfig.pol.  I did not compile
Samba with profile-support.  Again User Manager for Domains showed where
the profile path was pointing to.  The main problem here is that this value
applies to all users.

The other problem I've noticed is that when I change a password I get this
error:
[root at lhs-jw1 lib]# smbpasswd mtest1
error connecting to 134.151.77.222:445 (Connection refused)
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:
Password changed for user mtest1
N.B 134.151.77.222 is the IP number of the Samba PDC.
Is this related to the fact that I can view users with User Manager but not
alter them without an RPC error message?
Thanks
John
---
John Williams				School Computer Officer
LHS					Aston University
Aston Triangle				Birmingham B4 7ET
0121 359 3611 x 5142
Mobile 07801266235