Win Pop-Up message

Matthias Wächter matthias at waechter.wol.at
Mon Aug 16 10:10:10 GMT 1999

On Mon, 16 Aug 1999, David Bannon wrote:

> Start winpopup on the w95 by all means, however be warned, it will
> certainly encourage people to play with it ! Not only does it receive
> messages, it also sends them ! You also need to instruct your users not to
> close it down, as is all too easy to do.... Just put a shortcut to winpopup
> in the startup group  to be really simple.

better create an entry in
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run as follows:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"WinPopup"="C:\\WINDOWS\\WINPOPUP.EXE"

or make this one mandatory via the policies.

Two years ago I programmed something I called "winpopdown.exe" :-) which
is not seen but displays Net-Messages on Win95. Sorry, neither have the
source nor the binaries here, but I know it was not _that_ difficult to
do. Nicely, if winpopdown is running, noone can run winpopup since the
pipe winpopup wants to use is already in use, so noone with Win95 can send
Messages (while receiving is possible though).

Sehr Wus,
- Matthias

--
Verkauft für 339,88 Dollar!
	- aus: Groundhog Day (Und täglich grüßt das Murmeltier)