Implementing system policy (ntconfig.pol)

Lisa Becktold {CADIG STAFF} lisa at usna.navy.MIL
Sun Aug 15 00:17:09 GMT 1999

Hi:

I need help implementing a policy for a group of users!

If I have a UNIX group called "mids" on my Samba server, can I apply
a restrictive system policy to this group only?  How would I do it?

I understand that you must have a netlogin share for your login
scripts and system policies.

But what is the nature of ntconfig.pol?  It almost looks as if it's a single
binary file, composed of several specific policies.

I'm not very strong in NT.  I know you can access the System Policy
Editor from the Administrative Tools on an NT Server.  But I'm
confused about what I see there.  There are policies for different
machines and users.  Suppose I wanted to copy just one of these over
to my Samba netlogin share.  How would I do it?

It sounds like you MUST use an NT Server to create an ntconfig.pol
file.  But how do I get on the NT Server and create a policy for
my mids group?  Would I start the Policy Editor, and then copy and
paste an existing policy (such as the one for Default User) to a
new one called "mids"?  Can I create such a policy on the NT Server
if the "mids" group doesn't already exist on the NT Server?

If you've implemented policies on your Samba server, PLEASE let me
know how you did it!

Lisa