Netapp in Samba NT domain

Jeremy Allison jallison at cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Fri Aug 13 20:52:05 GMT 1999

Oleg Polyakov wrote:

> I had problems with Netapp filer - it did
> not want to enter Samba NT domain.
> For now problem is solved.
> I hope solution could help somebody.
>
> The version of filer OS is 5.5.2.
> I'm using FreeBSD 2.2.8 and Samba HEAD branch.
> The source text in Samba 2.0.5 is approximately
> same.
>
> Problem:
> Netapp filer  couldn't enter Samba NT
> domain.
>
> Explanation:
> 1.Netapp sends TconX request in unicode, not ascii.
> 2.Netapp send SMBtrans request in unicode, not ascii.

This is a bug in the NetApp code I'm afraid. It shouldn't
be sending UNICODE text on a non-unicode negotiated connection.

I would recommend that you contact NetApp and request
a fix (they do know about this issue, they need customer
demand to get them to allocate the engineering resources
to address it though).

Thanks for the patch though, I'll look into integrating
it.

Regards,

	Jeremy Allison,
	Samba Team.