'ulong' in LDAP code makes build under FreeBSD break

Charles Owens owensc at enc.edu
Tue Aug 10 15:57:44 GMT 1999

For example...

Compiling passdb/sampass.c
Compiling passdb/sampassldap.c
passdb/sampassldap.c: In function `ldapsam_getdbpos':
passdb/sampassldap.c:286: `ulong' undeclared (first use this function)
passdb/sampassldap.c:286: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only
once
passdb/sampassldap.c:286: for each function it appears in.)
passdb/sampassldap.c:286: parse error before `ldap_entry'
passdb/sampassldap.c: In function `ldapsam_setdbpos':
passdb/sampassldap.c:291: `ulong' undeclared (first use this function)
passdb/sampassldap.c:291: parse error before `tok'
*** Error code 1

Stop.

I've been able to get around this by changing every occurrance of
'ulong' to 'long' (in this file and several other LDAP-related)...
but... is it kosher for me to do this?  What would be the correct way to
get this to build under FreeBSD?  The hope is, of course, that the fix
for this will eventually make it into the soures...

...some kind of conditional in a header file that defines 'ulong' if the
OS is FreeBSD?

BTW, I've hit this problem with using FreeBSD 3.1-stable and 3.2-stable.

 Thanks much,
---

  Charles N. Owens                               Email:  owensc at enc.edu
                                             http://www.enc.edu/~owensc
  Network & Systems Administrator
  Information Technology Services  "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's
  Eastern Nazarene College         best friend.  Inside of a dog it's
                                   too dark to read." - Groucho Marx