duplicate name get_home_dir

Nelson Arzola narzola at sla.com
Mon Aug 9 07:32:15 GMT 1999

I have been experimenting with the head NT DOM branch on a sparc running
Solaris 7.  Since my first installation of Samba on this machine, I've
since added GNU readline 4.0.  It turns out that both Samba and
GNU readline define the function get_home_dir().  Obviously, this is not
a happy situation if autoconf includes readline support.  I've remedied
the situation (haphazardly), but renaming the function get_home_dir() to
smb_get_home_dir().

The easiest solution is to rename get_home_dir() to something else.  I
would be happy to provide the diffs if the Samba team is interested.
Another solution is to have autoconf check for the condition and at
least warn the user.  GNU readline is not uncommon -- better to do
something now than wait for a million people asking for help because of
"some duplicate function get_home_dir()".

Nelson Arzola
Network Engineer
Seitel Leeds & Associates
2 Nickerson St, Ste 201