Samba Fileserver at daily use?

Doug VanLeuven ldx at ibm.net
Sun Aug 8 23:08:59 GMT 1999

Thanks.  My specific circumstance is a legacy AIX system where users have
been split into initial departmental groups with a umask of 002 and sgid on shared
directories so departmental groups can freely read/write files.  I can't change this.
On the NT side, I have a legacy NT domain where logon scripts run under the
permissions of "Domain Users" and need to be applied to everyone authenticated
to the domain, but not guests & web users of MS IIS.
I'm experimenting with LDAP to define NT groups that are not mapped to any
unix group and it seems promising.
But I had hoped someone had found a way around the 1024 byte
limitation in group lines so we wouldn't have to maintain yet another server.

"Melanie Abbas (CNS staff)" wrote:

> > > Yep, I've had the same problem in AIX 4.2 and AIX 3.2.5,  also bites you if you
> > > try to use NIS.
> >
> > Have you found a workaround ?
>
> I also have ~2000 users in my smbpasswd file and I am using Solaris 7 with
> NIS+.
>
> The group file or group NIS+ table doesn't have to list all the members of
> a group in it. It only needs to list groups users are in besides their
> primary group.  As long as the passwd file or table lists the primary
> group of the user as whatever group you want, you can have as many users
> in the same group as you can have on your system.
>
> However, that only works if you want the group to be the users primary
> group. I have very few users in multiple groups, so my group file/table is
> relatively small. All my other groups tend to have 12 or less users in
> them, so I don't have a problem, however, YMMV.
>
> Melanie Abbas
> Systems Administrator

-- Doug VanLeuven - 707-545-6933 (voice) 707-545-6945 (fax)
Chief Engineer, USMM roamdad at ibm.net
Programmer/Analyst, SCWA doug at scwa.ca.gov