profiles

Alfredo Ramos ralf at is.rice.edu
Fri Aug 6 14:55:44 GMT 1999

The way the lab is set up, every user logs in with a default local profile
that has pointers to all the applications available and no user is allowed
to modify that profile except for the administrator. The user can load
programs of his own in the local machine, but those programs are gone
every night when the machine is wiped clean. If samba was allowed to
create profiles and users were allowed to modify them, they would keep
growing, and that would lenghten the time it takes for the client to
retrive them. So it is a matter of speed, for the client at login; and
convenience, for the administrator to control what applications are
available to the user.

We use NT to give the user access to PC applications in a controlled
environment, and also to provide access to their home directories in the
unix box. Everything else (authentication, and services) is handled in
unix by samba.

Thanks; I'll use the suggestion.

Al.

                                                  | Alfredo Ramos
This space available for rent.                    | New Media & Student Computing
Get your product moving. Advertise here!          | Rice University.