Password Expiration and Account Lockout

Gerald Carter cartegw at Eng.Auburn.EDU
Fri Aug 6 13:45:35 GMT 1999

Robert Jonsson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a couple of questions regarding Samba and
> passwords. I have been looking all over for this but
> haven´t been able to find anything. Is it possible to
> set Password Expiration dates in Samba and is it
> possible to set Account lockout?

Neither of these are implemented at the moment.
The expiration is hard coded to 42 days from
the current time and so will never occur.  To this,
you would need a new parameters in smb.conf.

WRT account lockout, you would need some mechanism
of keeping track of failed logins over time.  There
is no means of storing this right now.

Of course I am referring to the smbpasswd file
and not an LDAP backend.  I've not played with that
to offer any advice.  These features are implmented
somewhat differently in each pasword backend.

Hope this helps,
jerry
                            Gerald ( Jerry ) Carter

                                  - Sting "Message in a Bottle" ( 1979 )