nt profiles and win 9x profiles on 2.1prealpha

Gerald Carter cartegw at Eng.Auburn.EDU
Fri Aug 6 12:51:42 GMT 1999

tschweikle at FIDUCIA.de wrote:

> 1. they work not under all circumstances. There are configurations
>    where SAMBA tells the client there is no profile but it's there
>    and accessible. Seems as if this problem is related to time-out
>    settings on the client side (it occurs with NT-Server and SAMBA).

The initial question wa whether or not Samba could support
NT roaming profiles.  The answer is still yes.  If there is
a client issue as you claim, that is beyond any server's
responsibility to fix.  The client should be fixed.  I know
you probably agree.  I am just stating the obvious here.

> 2. only part of it is implemented the way NT-Server handles them.
>    You may not have roaming profiles on a user by user base. There's

include = %U.conf

where %U.conf contains
	logon path = <profile path>

should work.  The standard

	logon path = \\profileserv\profile\%U

is a unique path for each user, but the include line
would give you the maximum flexibility.

>    only one global setting for all users (you may give every user
>    his own profile path - but it's impossible to give one user
>    a roaming profile while others have local ones).

If I remember correctly

	logon path = '%systemroot%\profiles\%U'

(or maybe it was 'c:\winnt\profiles\%U')

does work.  I have not tried but but one person did
and claimed it worked.

> But roaming profiles work 99,9% of time. Best if your
> client and Server are the same subnet.

None of my NT boxes are on the same subnet as my PDC and I
rarely have problems.  Of course I am using older CVS code
as well so maybe this was broken lately.

Cheers,
jerry
                            Gerald ( Jerry ) Carter

                                  - Sting "Message in a Bottle" ( 1979 )