nt profiles and win 9x profiles on 2.1prealpha

tschweikle at FIDUCIA.de tschweikle at FIDUCIA.de
Fri Aug 6 08:58:33 GMT 1999

jerry at eng.auburn.edu wrote:

> tschweikle at FIDUCIA.de wrote:
>>
>> If I state the documentation correct, then profiles don't
>> work with NT jet. Only with Win9x. But while you aren't
>> using 2.0.5 this might have been implemented, but maybe
>> not working all times, cause it's a new feature.
>
> Roaming profiles with NT clients and Samba as experimental
> PDC is implemented and has been for some time.  Could you
> be more specific?

Yes they are, but:

1. they work not under all circumstances. There are configurations
   where SAMBA tells the client there is no profile but it's there
   and accessible. Seems as if this problem is related to time-out
   settings on the client side (it occurs with NT-Server and SAMBA).

2. only part of it is implemented the way NT-Server handles them.
   You may not have roaming profiles on a user by user base. There's
   only one global setting for all users (you may give every user
   his own profile path - but it's impossible to give one user
   a roaming profile while others have local ones).

   Most of this isn't easy to address, because there's necessity to
   change how *nix handles user accounts. There should be a way to add
   infinite fields of information to any user --- leading to a user
   database. FreeBSD does it this way. Linux doesn't. It's more
   traditional. AIX does it too, Solaris as far as I know not.

But roaming profiles work 99,9% of time. Best if your client and Server
are the same subnet.