Antwort: profiles

tschweikle at FIDUCIA.de tschweikle at FIDUCIA.de
Thu Aug 5 20:21:31 GMT 1999

> Question;

[snip]

> Is there a switch that needs to be set, during compile or on smb.conf, to
> tell samba not to create profiles? Or, if it absolutely must, to
> create them in the client machine? Also, while we're in the profiles
> subject, is there a setting in Win/NT to keep it from looking for a
> roamming profile when logging into a domain and just use a default local
> profile?

There is. A registry key exists allowing to switch of remote profiles.
You will have to set this at your clients and to make it more work -
for all users at that client:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\WinLogon]
"ProfileType"="REG_DWORD:1"

> The way I have it set right now is I'm using the "logon path =" parameter
> but have the profiles share not writeable.
>
>   logon path = \\%L\profiles\%U
>
> [profiles]
>    path = /usr/site/samba-2.0.4b/profiles
>    writable = no
>    browseable = no
>    guest ok = yes
>
> This way it makes an entry in the directory, but the actual profile is
> empty. The weird thing is, set this way, NT should ask the user "Unable
> to download roamming profile, Use Local?" all the time. But it doesn't.

Logical: WinNT accesses the profile dir, there is no profile
to download, thus no question for the user.

> 99% of the time, the login process is very fast, no questions asked. And
> this is very fine with me. I can live with 99%. But I've been asked to
> eliminate that 1%.

If shares are slow, WinNT runs into a timeout, beeing shure
there is a share, but a slow one. While not having checked
the profile for beeing empty there is a question to ask the
user.

There are other keys allowing to set timeout to an other
value - but i can't remember them.

> The problem is I don't understand why:
>
> 1.-Samba insists on creating profiles.

Not Samba, the NT-box.

> 2.- If NT does not find a roamming profile, it does not ask the user if he
> wants to use the local one 100% of the time. Obviously it is using it all
> the time. And
>
> 3.- Can't I set NT to NOT look for roamming profiles while logging into a
> domain.

Yes you can - i've mentioned it above. NT-Servers tell the client
to use local profiles by leaving the field "Use Profile Path"
empty in the user manager. Maybe there should be a way to make
SAMBA behave the same?

> I know these are minor things. Samba is working just great. But not
> understanding these three points is bothersome. Any help would be greatly
> appreciated.

Minor?! You call annoying questions from computers minor!? They don't have to
ask annoying questions!