Shares over WAN...

krille krille at c-systems.org
Wed Aug 4 14:51:44 GMT 1999

We have a Samba NTDOM on our LAN, and it rocks....

but of course does the users on the other site have access
to this share also.

This server is a SUN 250 with Solaris7 and Samba 2.0.4b.

conf:

[global]
           workgroup = NT
           netbios name = 007
           server string = Samba 2.0.4b file server
           interfaces = 192.168.1.1/24
           security = SHARE
           encrypt passwords = Yes
           max xmit = 8192
           keepalive = 30
           shared mem size = 5242880
           os level = 5
           wins server = 192.168.1.12
           remote announce = 192.168.1.255/NT 192.168.11.255/STHLM
           valid users = @nobody
           read list = @nobody
           write list = @nobody
           hosts allow = localhost, 192.168.

   [apps]
           comment = applikationer å sån't
           path = /export/apps
           write list = nobody, @users
           read only = No
           create mask = 0777
           force create mode = 0777
           directory mask = 0777
           force directory mode = 0777
           guest ok = Yes

   [sjuan]
           comment = ... gemensamt på server 7 !
           path = /export/home/sjuan
           write list = @users
           force group = users
           read only = No
           create mask = 0777
           force create mode = 0777
           directory mask = 0777
           force directory mode = 0777
           guest ok = Yes

this server is only for sharing apps and documents.

The users on the other LAN can map the share. But when they
tries to copy files from the share, it breaks. If they tries to open
a Word97 template... the wonderful error message of M$ appears
"Operation is canceled, try to restore the network connection or
insert the floppy"  :-)  hmmm... OK!!!

If you have connections over WAN with samba and it works please
give me a hint.... how it should be done.....  thanks.

/krille