Adding NT BDC

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Tue Aug 3 20:19:13 GMT 1999

On Wed, 4 Aug 1999, John Grant (Concordant Networks) wrote:

> I've read all (?) the back emails, the FAQs, quite a bit of the source too
> now and I'm still stuck !
>
> I need to a) set up an NT BDC to my Samba PDC (latest CVS version), or b)
> get another NT PDC to trust
> my Samba PDC. Option (a) being preferred.
>
> The closest I have come is creating a machine account for bdc$ in samba,
> then building the bdc,

machine account?  there is no such thing as a machine account.  there is
only:

- workstation trust account (for interactive logins)
- server trust account (for interactive logins and BDCs to sync SAM)
- inter-domain trust accounts (self explanatory i hope).

> but alas it crashes in isass.exe when trying to replicate. (I also see many
> code=7 in smb.log)

does it??? please send me a trace, preferably netmon.

> If someone has a (even brief) step by step example of how to bring up NT as
> BDC, or how to get an
> NT PDC to trust Samba, I would be, err, very grateful indeed !

ok, it would help if one of the samba team members tried it first :-)