What does it mean??

Kevin Myer kevin_myer at elanco.k12.pa.us
Tue Aug 3 16:40:14 GMT 1999

On Wed, 4 Aug 1999, Jens Puruckherr wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Our samba-server (2.04b/2.2.7) works fine and without any
> problems....thought I.
> All ca. 15 min is there an message in /var/log/messages:
>
> 10:13:56 inetd[370]: /usr/local/samba/bin/nmbd: exit status 0x1
> 10:14:27 last message repeatet 30 times
> 10:14:37 last message repeatet 8 times
> 10:14:36 inetd[370]: netbios-ns/udp server failing (looping), service
> terminatet
>
> What does it mean?? There are no problems/bad performance for the users

First, this is just a guess but I'll hazard that inetd is shutting down
the service because its receiving too many requests per minute.  From the
inetd man pages:

 to spawn new servers.  The optional ``max'' suffix (separated from
 ``wait'' or ``nowait'' by a dot) specifies the maximum number of server
 instances that may be spawned from inetd within an interval of 60 sec-
 onds. When omitted, ``max'' defaults to 40.

Do you need to run nmbd through inetd or could you just run it as a
standalone daemon?  Also you could change the value of max to something
that wouldn't cause it to exit, assuming it is inetd killing the process.

Of course I could be totally wrong - I'm not sure what an exit status of
0x1 means in the context of inetd and nmbd.

Kevin

--
     ~        Kevin M. Myer
    . .       Network/System Administrator