Samba server not visible

Dave J. Andruczyk dave at www.buffalostate.edu
Tue Aug 3 15:22:00 GMT 1999

> I'm a newbie when it comes to Samba. And I have a strange situation on hand.
> In my test network I have a Win95 PC, a NTw PC and a Linux server with Samba
> 2.05a.
> They are all in the same workgroup 'NR11' (there is *no* domain yet), but
> the Samba server isn't visible.
>
> Using smbclient on my Linux server I can work on shares of the Win95 and
> WinNT machines.
> But I don't see the Linux server using either Microsoft machine.
>
> Anyone any clues?

Make sure the windoze machines ONLY have TCP/IP as their protocol, remove
netbeui, IPX and DLC if they're present.  Also check the IP addressing, to
make sure all the machines have the proper addresses, you can also setup
the windoze boxes to use the samba server for their WINS server. (just set
the WINS ip to the ip of the samba server, and make sure "wins support =
yes" and "wins proxy = no" is set in the smb.conf file.

Dave J. Andruczyk
Instructional Support Associate
Department of Technology
Buffalo State College