Setting up samba with NIS

Greg Dickie greg at discreet.com
Tue Aug 3 14:03:30 GMT 1999

Hi Lisa,

   We do samba on SGI with NIS. There is no special setup required since samba
simply uses the getpw* functions from IRIX to get users. Can users log in
directly to that machine with telnet? Check your /etc/nsswitch.conf file. Also
since your samba machine is your PDC you must have encrypted passwords and an
smbpasswd file. Actually one thing springs to mind, did you keep the same UIDs
for your users and machine accounts when you switched to NIS?

Greg

On 03-Aug-99 Lisa Becktold {CADIG STAFF} wrote:
> HI:
>
> Is anybody using NIS with Samba?
>
> I have an SGI server running IRIX 6.5 and Samba 2.0.4.  The SGI server
> is acting as an NT PDC.
>
> A couple weeks ago, we weren't running NIS.  The local /etc/passwd contained
> entries for each user and NT machine.  I could successfully log on from an NT
> workstation into the Samba domain
>
> But we cleaned these entries out of /etc/passwd when we implemented
> NIS.  Now the machine and user entries are contained in /var/yp/passwd.
>
> To further complicate the situation, the SGI server running Samba is
> NOT a master NIS server - it is a slave.
>
> Now the NT workstation login is not working.  The [homes] share is no
> longer resolving to my home directory, and my profile (stored in a [profiles]
> share on the SGI server) is not loading.   Also, when I try to access
> the SGI server from Network Neighborhood, I am not recognized as a user!
>
> If you are running NIS with Samba, did you have to do anything special?  What
> does your smb.conf look like?
>
> THANKS!
>

> Lisa
>
>     ----------------------------------------------------------
>       Lisa M. Becktold - lisa at usna.navy.mil, (410) 293-6480
>                United States Naval Academy - CADIG
>     590 Holloway Road, Rickover Hall, Annapolis, MD 21402-5000

Greg Dickie
Just A Guy*
*from discreet (the logic is gone)
Montreal