Setting up samba with NIS

Lisa Becktold {CADIG STAFF} lisa at usna.navy.MIL
Tue Aug 3 13:43:15 GMT 1999

HI:

Is anybody using NIS with Samba?

I have an SGI server running IRIX 6.5 and Samba 2.0.4.  The SGI server
is acting as an NT PDC.

A couple weeks ago, we weren't running NIS.  The local /etc/passwd contained
entries for each user and NT machine.  I could successfully log on from an NT
workstation into the Samba domain

But we cleaned these entries out of /etc/passwd when we implemented
NIS.  Now the machine and user entries are contained in /var/yp/passwd.

To further complicate the situation, the SGI server running Samba is
NOT a master NIS server - it is a slave.

Now the NT workstation login is not working.  The [homes] share is no
longer resolving to my home directory, and my profile (stored in a [profiles]
share on the SGI server) is not loading.   Also, when I try to access
the SGI server from Network Neighborhood, I am not recognized as a user!

If you are running NIS with Samba, did you have to do anything special?  What
does your smb.conf look like?

THANKS!

Lisa