security = domain & security = user mixing.... Is it possible?

Andy Bakun abakun at reac.com
Wed Apr 28 22:01:06 GMT 1999

I had a similar setup when I converted our network over from an NT PDC to a
samba PDC.

You need to use netbios aliases.  Say your machine is named SAMBA. Put the
following in the smb.conf file:

  netbios aliases = DOMMEMBER

Then, create two configuration files, one named smb.conf.SAMBA and one named
smb.conf.DOMMEMBER

In smb.conf.SAMBA, put your

  security = user

line and any other lines related to security = user (like the path to
smbpasswd, etc).
In smb.conf.DOMMEMBER, put

  security = domain

and other parameters related to security = domain, like password server =,
etc.

The people who access the machine as \\DOMMEMBER from their workstations will
be authed via the password server, and those who access it via \\SAMBA will be
authed against the smbpasswd file.  Ideally, all the share definitions will be
shared between both "virtual servers", so no matter if the users access it as
\\SAMBA or as \\DOMMEMBER, they should see the same shares.

You'll still need to create accounts on the samba machine for those security =
server accounts, or you can use the user name map file to map them all to a
common account, I guess, but I never tried this).