security = domain & security = user mixing.... Is it possible?

Rolando Berrios rolando at sensenet.com
Wed Apr 28 21:18:13 GMT 1999

Hey all,

I've read through the documentation and (unless I'm an idiot) I can't find
a resolution to this problem.  I'm trying to move from a workstation style
setting, using pretty much only NT desktop machines, to a NT domain style
network.

The problem is that we have a few people who won't be joining the domain
and will need to access the SAMBA shared (file/print)server that is
running in the security = domain setting.  After wondering to myself why
the users weren't able to log onto the Linux box running SAMBA, I tried
looking at the log files and I got this:

.....[snip]
[1999/04/28 17:11:33, 0] rpc_client/cli_netlogon.c:cli_net_sam_logon(371)
  cli_net_sam_logon: NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER
[1999/04/28 17:11:33, 0] smbd/password.c:domain_client_validate(1365)
  domain_client_validate: unable to validate password for user rberrios in
domain NT-TESTDOMAIN to Domain controller TESTDOMAINCONTROLLER. Error was
NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER.
.....[snip]

After that it attempted to find the user on the SAMBA server in the
smb_passwd file, of which there was no such user.

When I try to connect to an NT server that's part of the domain and the
account I'm using is not a domain account, but a local one, I don't run
into any errors - I simply have to enter the domain account username and
password pair and I'm in.

Is this functionality not supported?  Or are there some configuration
options that I've screwed up?