Remote browsing problems

Andrew Perrin - Demography aperrin at demog.Berkeley.EDU
Tue Apr 27 18:38:35 GMT 1999

Hello again.

We're trying to get a remote subnet, whose PC's we don't control, to be
able to see our Samba network.  The goal is to share some utilities to
users over there without the direct cooperation of the remote sysadmins
:).

Here's what we've got now:
1.) BOSERUP - our PDC, master browser for domain DEMOGRAPHY
2.) BARROWS-SVR - server on our network sharing the stuff we want them to
have. Set for remote announce = IP of NEWSNOWY (see below).
3.) POPULATION - another server on our network, doing WINS duty.
4.) NEWSNOWY - server on the remote network, set for wins proxy = yes,
wins server = <POPULATION's IP address>, preferred master = yes, os level
= 100. This is the only samba server on that subnet.

BOSERUP, BARROWS-SVR, and POPULATION are all Solaris 7 running Samba 2.0.3
patched with Jeremy's patch. NEWSNOWY is the same but Solaris 2.6.

Basically, the Win95 machines in the remote subnet can use BARROWS-SVR
with no problem, but they can't browse it. The NetworkNeighborhood simply
doesn't show them.

Additional information:
- The remote PC's are running Novell as well as TCP/IP/Netbios (ugh).
- The remote PC's are on the same subnet as NEWSNOWY but are in a
different workgroup (SSCL).
- Although NEWSNOWY wins the election on the subnet, there is no listing
in its browse.dat for the SSCL workgroup; there are listings for other
workgroups on the subnet.
- At some (unfortunately undocumented) point in the last 3 weeks, we have
made this work, that is, seen a machine configured similarly to NEWSNOWY
available in the remote PCs' browselists under Entire Network -> Microsoft
Windows Network -> Demography.

Any ideas?
thanks - Andy