More profile problems

Andrew Perrin - Demography aperrin at demog.Berkeley.EDU
Tue Apr 27 18:28:16 GMT 1999

Hey folks-

A week or so ago we had a profile problem related to the Domain SID bug;
we ended up wiping out all roaming profiles and upgrading all samba
servers to 2.0.3 to fix it.   It seemed like it worked -- however this
morning the same behavior is happening, at least to certain users:

- Login authentication works fine
- Drive mapping works fine
- Registry bombs. That is, Office applications as well as basic
preferences stuff (explorer settings, start/run history, etc.) can't write
to the hkey_users registry hive. They complain about this.  Running
Regedit and opening the hkey_users hive shows the user's tree as a single
key, not the whole tree it should normally be.  Clicking on the user's key
generates the wonderfully informative 'error opening registry key.'

the problem is solved only by wiping out the user's roaming profile *and*
their locally cached profile, then having them log back in.

We are running Samba 2.0.3 everywhere, patched with Jeremy's big-endian
patch, and Windows NT Workstation 4.0 SP3.

Any ideas what's going on? There's nothing at all suspicious in the logs.