domain login across subnet - how?

mark at hoist.nlcomm.com mark at hoist.nlcomm.com
Mon Apr 26 13:35:39 GMT 1999

   > I only have Win95 machines; but cannot log in.  I suspect that it is a
   > problem with Wins though.  Does your NT Domain have to match your host
   > name or anything?  I tried to do nmbd -h hdplus (the NT domain is
   > HDPLUS) but then the Win 95 machines gave the message "incorrect
   > parameter".  I am stuck!!  back to having the samba machine also be
   > the router (yuck).

   According to M$ docs, when using windows 9x machines in an NT  (or samba)
   domain setup, the WORKGROUP and DOMAIN (under winblows) MUST BE IDENTICAL,
   and with NO SPACES.  Windows 9x will allow spaces in the domain/workgroup,
   but NT won't.  I found out the hard way with spaces in the workgroup
   name...

Thanks for the suggestion.  I found this out the hard way too back in
the 1.8.x days!

Unfortunately I still can't get this cross-subnet login to work.

How can I debug this?  Is there a way to see what Windows is thinking?
Or, even better, is it possible to simulate the WINS domain login with
the Unix samba tools?

Thanks,
Mark