Downloading Profiles/Policies (slow connection)

Eric Mercer emercer at cis.upenn.edu
Fri Apr 23 19:49:13 GMT 1999

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Mar 1999, Dejan Ilic wrote:

> > > I get the message when I store user profiles on a samba server.
> > > My interpretation is that the authentication process is taking
> > > very long (we have ~9000 users in /etc/passwd) and therefore
> > > samba has a slow start, which leads NT to expect (quite wrongly ;-)
> > > overal slow performance..
> >
> > Suspecting the same problem here. About 17000 accounts on samba.
>
> well, you could always use Benjamin Kuit's new mysql code!!!

This may be a dead issue, but I may have some information to add.

We were experiencing this problem with about 8 of 16 NT workstations.
The PDC is an Ultra Enterprise 2 running Solaris 2.5.1 and Samba
downloaded via CVS on September 22nd.  Although we only have 95 users,
we tried reducing the size of the smbpasswd file.  That made no
difference.  We continued having the trouble until one of the
administrators noticed a lot of browser elections.

We found that several of the newer NT machines had been added to the
domain with Netware installed.  They have been electing themselves
master browsers on their little IPX network.  After removing the Client
Service for Netware and the NWLink IPX/SPX Transport, the "slow
connection" problem has disappeared.

I didn't see anyone mention this as a possible solution to this
problem.  If anyone is still experiencing this, you might want to check
to see if any of the "slow" clients have more than TCP/IP installed.
Only our domain clients with Netware installed had this problem.

This is explained in BROWSING-Config.txt, but it was hard to make the
leap from "slow connection" to BROWSING-Config.txt.