Attrib problem

Daniel Fonseca daniel at med.up.pt
Mon Apr 19 21:11:04 GMT 1999

On Tue, 20 Apr 1999, Yan Seiner wrote:

> I have an NT application that shares data in client-server mode.
>
> When the server makes a change that one of the clients needs to know
> about, a message box is supposed to pop up on the client.  This has not
> been happening. The files are updated, but the clients are not notifying
> the users.
>
> After several weeks of reverse engineering this particular app, I've
> come to the conclusion that the server toggles the archive bit on one
> particular file in the client directory to let the client know the file
> has changed.
>
> Samba, knowing nothing about DOS attribs, blithely ignores this, and
> always leaves the archive bit set.  Attempts to toggle the bit fail.
>
> Any idea on how to let a windows app toggle the archive bit of a file on
> a samba server?

I think what we're looking at is the excellent "map archive" smb.conf
directive here, which maps certain UNIX permissions to DOS style
attributes. Try man smb.conf(5) and search for the map xxx directives.

There's the "map archive", "map hidden" and "map system". I too needed
this when IExploder wouldn't set the profile if the directory wouldn't be
of type system or something like that. It's all in the man page - I hope
you know a little bit about file permissions and umasks, etc.

Hope to help,

Daniel Fonseca