site poll. (sorry it's late :-( )

Gerald Heinig heinig at hdz-ima.rwth-aachen.de
Mon Apr 19 20:14:43 GMT 1999

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

> occasionally i feel like i and other people would like to know how samba
> is being used.  if you feel so inclined, could people kindly let us know
> some of the things below (pick one or more or all), such as:
>
> - a brief description of your organisation.
>
> - what you use samba for (e.g as file servers; login servers; backup
> purposes or remote admin with smbclient or rpcclient).

NT PDC login/file server (primary site) and file server for Win 95
(secondary site)

> - what version(s) of samba you are using.  if using a version from cvs
> please include date and tag.

Primary site: 2.0.3   Secondary: 1.9.19 (I think...)

> - what server(s), including the specification (OS, ram, hdd, network,
> rough estimate of mb/s throughput at peak load would be excellent if you
> can get it)

Primary: Solaris 2.6, Sparcstation 20 2x50 MHz CPU, 128 Mb, 16 Gb RAID +
4 Gb internal, 100 Mbps connection to 10baseT switched network (3COM
Superstack 1000 and 3000). I'll try and get a rough idea of our peak
throughput.

Secondary: Solaris 2.6, Enterprise 450 128Mb, 18 Gb RAID + 4Gb in SPARC
10 (legacy machine :-) ). Again, 100 Mbps 10baseT switched with above
switches.

> - how many users and in what database (private/smbpasswd; LDAP; MYSQL) and
> how many simultaneous users.

Primary: 180 in NIS+/smbpasswd, simultaneous ~40 or so on a busy day.

Secondary: ~700 in NIS+/YP emulation. up to 50 simultaneously, and that
frequently (3-4 hours a day, 5 days a week).

> - what sort of hosts connect to your servers.

Primary: exclusively NT 4 SP 3, mostly 486, a few P-133s

Secondary: exclusively P-233 Win95/Linux (alternately bootable)

Keep up the great work. The mailing list is excellent as well. Signal to
noise ratio is so good, it makes my HiFi sound like a waterfall in
comparison :-) :-)

Cheers,

Gerald

--
"Would you like to buy an encyclopaedia to help your child get to
college?"