Cannot log on to domain

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Fri Apr 16 19:46:26 GMT 1999

On Sat, 17 Apr 1999, Dave J. Andruczyk wrote:

> > > Yep - It was originally created when I installed NT on my machine
> > > (dual-boot).  The netbios name for both NT and linux is the same.  Under
> > > NT, it logs onto the network fine.
> >
> > som1 want 2 xpln why u can't do this?  luke
> >

> Uhh.  I thought the workstation will change the machine's password on the
> PDC when it FIRST connects to the domain.

only added this very recently (2 wks ago) to cvs main.  it's set to
default value (wks name in lower case).

>  If when rebooting to Linux from
> Nt wkstation, and attempting to join the domain, the password is now
> different than what it expects and thus fails.  Am i right?

you are correct.... ONLY if one user has NOT been logged on from the nt
wks since it was joined to the domain OR if smbpasswd -j does not set
password to a random value but sets to "wks name in lower case" too.

when 1st usr logs in from nt wks, NetrServerPasswordSet is sent, changing
wks dflt val to random one.

in other words, you can only really have ONE wks with synchronised wks
trust pwd and therefore only one wks per netbios name (and one netbios
name per wks, whatever way you want to look at it).