Cannot log on to domain

Jeremy Allison jallison at cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Fri Apr 16 16:43:43 GMT 1999

chrisp at global.co.za wrote:

> > Are you sure you created the trust account on the PDC?
> Yep - It was originally created when I installed NT on my machine
> (dual-boot).  The netbios name for both NT and linux is the same.  Under
> NT, it logs onto the network fine.

Ah, that's you problem. You cannot do this under the same
name for the NT box. The reason is that when you rebooted
the NT box after joining the domain the NT box changed the
domain password.

The password that smbpasswd is trying to change has already
been changed. You could extract the NT password from the
PDC SAM or the LSA secrects area on your NT workstation,
but sooner or later either Samba or the NT box will change
it again and everything will break.

You need to add the Samba server under a different name
and use the "netbios name" parameter in smb.conf.

Hope this helps,

	Jeremy Allison,
	Samba Team.